SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. (AP) — With police keeping a watchful eye, students streamed into a San Bernardino elementary school Monday morning for the first time since a gunman opened fire, killing his estranged wife and an 8-year-old student.
Classes at North Park Elementary resumed Monday, a week after the shooting.
A performer blew large bubbles and a man handed out teddy bears as busses rolled up and students headed into the school.
Police officers stood guard outside as the students and teachers walked into school, passing a large banner that read: “We love you.”
The school had been closed since April 10, when Cedric Anderson walked into his estranged wife’s classroom and opened fire, killing her and an 8-year-old boy. He then fatally shot himself.
He targeted Karen Smith but also struck two of her students: 8-year-old Jonathan Martinez, who died, and 9-year-old Nolan Brandy, who was expected to recover and was released from the hospital on Friday.
Police said Anderson had been unsuccessfully trying to convince his wife, Karen Elaine Smith, to take him back after a breakup just weeks into their marriage.
When she rejected his attempts, Anderson went to the school and killed her, police said.
School officials said security has been tightened at North Park and counselors are being made available for students and staff.