Memorial Day, originally called Decoration Day, is a day of remembrance and honor for those who died fighting for the United States. The holiday usually calls for a gathering of friends and family to celebrate and thank those who gave their life in the line of duty.
Memorial Day cook-outs are traditionally the most common way to celebrate the holiday. Here are some fun and easy dishes to serve if you are hosting or going to a Memorial Day barbecue.
The Best BBQ Chicken Kebabs Recipe
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 2-3 slices raw bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce
- Trim chicken of excess fat, then cut the chicken into 1-inch cubes. In a large bowl, toss the chicken with the salt. Then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 hour.
- Turn all grill burners to high, close lid, and heat for about 15 minutes. Leave primary burner on, but turn off other burners.
- Meanwhile, pat the chicken dry with paper towels. In a small bowl, combine the paprikas and sugar. Place the raw bacon in a food processor and pulse for about 30-45 seconds, until a smooth paste forms, scraping down the sides of the bowl twice throughout. Add the bacon paste and spice mixture to the chicken. Mix with hands or spatula until the ingredients are blended and chicken is coated. Thread the chicken onto the skewers, rolling or folding as needed to maintain 1-inch cubes.
- Grill the chicken over the primary burner with lid closed, turning one-quarter of a turn every 2 minutes or so, until browned and slightly charred (about 8 minutes total for chicken breast and 10 minutes for thighs). Brush the top of kebabs with BBQ sauce; flip and cook until sauce is browned in spots, about 1 minute. Brush second side with sauce; flip and cook for another minute or so, until cooked through.
- Remove kebabs from grill and let rest for 5 minutes. Serve, passing remaining BBQ sauce separately, if desired.
The Best Baked Beans
- 1½ pounds ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 red or green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and finely chopped
- 2 (16-oz) cans pork and beans
- ½ cup barbecue sauce
- ½ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 6 to 8 slices bacon, cut into pieces and cooked
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large saucepan brown the ground beef. When beef is about halfway done add the onions and bell peppers. Continue to cook until beef is done and the veggies are soft. Drain meat mixture.
- Add the pork and beans, barbecue sauce, ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce and brown sugar to the mixture. Simmer mixture for 5 minutes. Transfer the mixture to the prepared casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the bacon pieces over the top of the casserole. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 40-45 minutes. Remove the foil and continue to bake for an additional 10 minutes. Let dish sit for 10 minutes before serving.
All American Bacon Cheeseburger Dip
By: Becky Hardin
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 16 ounces (2 bars) low fat cream cheese
- 1 cup low fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup light mayo (real)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 1 cup chopped bacon crumbles, cooked (about 6-8 slices)
- 1/4 cup chopped bread and butter pickles (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 3/4 cup cherry tomatoes, chopped (or pico de gallo)
- ketchup and mustard for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Brown hamburger and garlic in a medium skillet over medium/high heat. Crumble as you brown. About half way through, add in the onion and stir to combine. When beef is fully cooked and onion is translucent and fragrant, drain of any excess oil and set aside.
- In a high powered blender, combine cream cheese, sour cream, mayo, and both cheeses. Pulse until combined.
- Pour cream cheese mixture into a large bowl and stir in the beef, bacon, pickles, cilantro, and tomatoes.
- Pour mixture into a prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with more cheese if desired.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and melty.
- Serve hot garnished with ketchup and mustard. Serve with Food Should Taste Good Multigrain Tortilla Chips !