A Massachusetts funeral director says he has received burial offers for more than 100 out-of-state graves for the body of a Boston Marathon bombing suspect who was killed in a gun battle with police but none are panning out.
Tamerlan Tsarnaev’s mother says she wants the body returned to Russia.
Worcester funeral home director Peter Stefan said on Monday none of the 120 grave offers from the US and Canada have worked out because, when he calls officials of the cities or towns involved, nobody wants the body.
Stefan also said that, despite the request by Tsarnaev’s mother, he doesn’t think Russia will take the body.
He made calls to Russia but said it was hard to get anyone to respond. He is working on other arrangements but declined to be more specific.
Meanwhile, a friend of the surviving suspect in the bombings was released from federal custody on Monday amid a swell of support from family and friends, but was under strict house arrest and only allowed to leave his home to meet with lawyers and for true emergencies.
Also, the administrator of the One Fund Boston released the protocol for payouts of the fund, with the families of those who lost loved ones and individuals who suffered double amputations or permanent brain damage in the bombings receiving the highest payments.
The question of where Tamerlan Tsarnaev will be buried dragged on for another day on Monday, and the issue seemed far from resolved.
Stefan said he made follow-up calls on all the grave offers, but faced the same result each time.
“It’s not only Massachusetts that doesn’t want him,” Stefan said.
“Nobody wants him. And all these people who have donated graves, I’ve made some calls and said to somebody in the cities and towns where the graves were, ‘Hey, we would like to bury the guy there that was part of the marathon bombing’.”
He said the response was often the same: “You’re not gonna do that here.”
Stefan said he plans to ask for a burial in the city of Cambridge, where Tsarnaev lived. Cambridge has asked him not to do so.
Cambridge City Manager Robert Healy urged the Tsarnaev family not to make a request.
“The difficult and stressful efforts of the citizens of the City of Cambridge to return to a peaceful life would be adversely impacted by the turmoil, protests, and widespread media presence at such an interment,” Healy said in a statement Sunday.
Stefan said he does not regret taking on the body.
“We’re just burying a dead body,” he said late Monday.
“We’re not buying a cause. We’re not doing anything else. … The guy is a terrorist, whatever he did. Still dead.”
The founder of the organisation that built Colorado’s largest mosque, Sheikh Abu-Omar Almubarac, operating independently, is offering to bury Tsarnaev in the Denver area.
He didn’t say where he would bury the body. Stefan said he was not aware of that offer but said he might pursue it.
As the fate of the body remained unclear, Robel Phillipos, a friend of bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, was released on $US100,000 ($A97,947) bond while he awaits trial for allegedly lying to federal investigators probing the April 15 bombings.
Phillipos, 19, who was a student at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth with Tsarnaev, was charged last week with lying to investigators about visiting Tsarnaev’s dormitory room three days after the bombings.
He faces up to eight years in prison if convicted.
Prosecutors initially asked that Phillipos be held while he awaits trial, arguing that he poses a serious flight risk.
But prosecutors and Phillipos’ lawyers agreed in a joint motion filed on Monday that Phillipos could be released under strict conditions, including home confinement, monitoring with an electronic bracelet and the secured bond.
Source: Associated Press