With the holiday season upon us there is only one question that should be asked. “How much food are we going to eat?” or “Who wants left-overs?”
After many years off perfecting this recipe, it’s time to inform the nation. Thanksgiving in my household has always been dedicated to the friends that don’t go home for the holiday, “Homeless Thanksgiving.” It could just be my friends but they like to eat and drink, a lot! With that said they like their meat and potatoes.
Best Mashed Potatoes Ever
Servers 15-20 people or 10 hung over friends.
5 lbs Yukon gold potatoes
1 lb salted butter
1 lb shredded cheddar cheese
1 lb bacon
1/2 – 1 cup of butter milk
salt and pepper
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1. Cook the 1 lb of bacon and then finely chop. Protect the bacon as hungry people will try to steal.
2. Boil the potatoes in a very large pot till they are done. I used a knife to test if the potatoes are soft enough, the softer the better. (Dump the water out and put the potatoes back into the hot-pot.)
3. Place all your ingredients in the pot (bacon, 4 butter sticks, cheddar) and start to mash!
4. Add salt, pepper, garlic powder and butter milk to taste and texture. The butter milk you add the creamier you potatoes will be.
5. Place mashed potatoes in a large sheet pan cover and spread. Cover the top with Parmesan cheese. Place pan in oven and broil on high for 5 minutes.
Smoke the bacon if you time and or a smoker.
Chipotle pepper also adds a great flavor.