CHICAGO – Numerator, a data and tech company serving the market research space, has launched a consumer sentiment study to understand how people plan to celebrate, shop and spend for Easter 2021. Overall, 2 in 5 consumers (39%) plan to celebrate at home due to COVID-19 concerns, one-third (32%) plan to do their shopping online, and one-third (33%) plan to spend less than previous Easter holidays.
The consumer sentiment survey of 3,100 verified shoppers shows the following key findings:
- 1 in 5 consumers (22%) say their Easter plans are unaffected by the pandemic.
- 3 in 5 consumers (60%) say they will either stay home or limit contact with others this Easter, due to COVID-19 concerns.
- 71% of consumers say they typically gather with friends and family for Easter, but less than half (42%) plan to do so this year, a drop of 29 percentage points.
- Attending or hosting egg hunts, buying gifts and traveling are all down significantly from prior years at -22, -10 and -8 percentage points respectively.
- Ordering takeout/delivery food was the only celebration method to see an increase from previous years (up from 2% to 4% in 2021).
Easter 2021 Celebration Methods
Percentage of Respondents Selecting
|Previous Easter Holidays||Easter 2021||Point Change|
|Attend or host a gathering||71%||42%||-29|
|Attend or host an egg hunt||45%||23%||-22|
|Decorate my home||35%||30%||-5|
|Go out to eat||9%||4%||-5|
Easter Gifts and Shopping:
- Candy remains the most popular Easter gift, with 90% planning to purchase for Easter 2021, down slightly from 93% for prior years.
- Toys remain the second most popular Easter gift, but the number of people planning to purchase for 2021 is down 11 percentage points (64% in 2021 vs 75% in prior years).
- Half of gift givers (51%) plan to purchase Food for Easter gifts, remaining consistent with previous years (51%).
- Spa Products see a +5 point increase (20% in 2021 vs 15% in previous years), perhaps due to consumers shifting in-person spa treatments to their homes.
- Clothes (-9 points), Accessories (-5 points), Flowers (-4 points), Jewelry (-2 points), and Electronics (-2 points) all see declines in planned gift giving for 2021. Alcohol remains flat with 7% of gift givers planning to buy in 2021.
- More than half plan to do their Easter shopping at Grocery Stores (54%), while 50% plan to do so at Mass Retailers, 33% at Dollar Stores, 32% at Online Retailers, 17% at Club Stores, and 14% at Drug Stores.
Numerator is a data and tech company bringing speed and scale to market research. Headquartered in Chicago, IL, Numerator has more than 2,000 employees worldwide. The company blends proprietary data with advanced technology to create unique insights for the market research industry that has been slow to change. The majority of Fortune 100 companies are Numerator clients.
View original content to download multimedia: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/easter-gatherings-down-42-in-2021-impacting-spend-and-gifting-categories-numerator-reports-301252841.html