Big Tech Companies Like Apple And Amazon May Be After Trump’s Ban

Amazon, Apple And Google Aren’t Happy With Immigration Executive Order

While the world is up in arms over President Donald Trump’s executive order to prohibit refugees from coming into the country from seven different Middle-Eastern countries, there are some companies that have a problem with it as well. Their reasoning is that it is bad for business.

According to Amazon, the company has 49 employees born in the seven countries listed in the executive order who are legally working for the company in the United States and around the world. Due to the ban, those employees could have their travel and responsibilities disrupted as many saw when the order first came out. Which has led to Amazon to file a lawsuit against the ban.

“This employee had plans to travel to the United States for business during the month of February. We have instructed the employee to cancel her plans and remain in the UK rather than risk being denied entry to the United States,” the motion reads per CNN.

Amazon isn’t the only one who is considering some sort of legal action to stop President Trump’s executive order. Expedia is also joining the lawsuit. However, another company is making some decisions with regard to legal action and that’s Tim Cook’s Apple.

The giant tech company hasn’t filed a lawsuit yet but it could be very close to happening soon. In an interview with the Wall Street Journal, Cook said the iPhone maker wants to be “constructive” in how they decide to proceed.

“Apple would not exist without immigration, let alone thrive and innovate the way we do,” Cook said when the ban was first initiated via CNN. He told The Wall Street Journal that he has been contacting “very, very senior people in the White House” to try to persuade them to repeal the order.

There have been other tech giants that have spoken out against the ban including Google. Google sent out a memo that called for its staff to not leave the United States.

“Please do not travel outside of the U.S. until the ban is lifted. While the entry restriction is currently only in place for 90 days, it could be extended with little or no warning,” the memo, which was reviewed by CNN, read.

The company issued a statement Saturday, saying it’s “concerned about the impact of this order and any proposals that could impose restrictions on Googlers and their families, or that could create barriers to bringing great talent to the US.” Google also vowed to “continue to make our views on these issues known to leaders in Washington and elsewhere.”

There has already been multiple judges who have called for an injunction on the ban, however it seems that the battle over its legality is just getting started.

SHARE
Thomas Fernandez is the managing editor for Sports Talk Florida and News Talk Florida. He started his career in media by covering the NHL and the Tampa Bay Lightning. After covering the NHL for two years, he hopped on board the news cycle and has been covering both sports and news for the last year. He has covered major sporting events as well as politics which affects the Florida audience. Thomas is a Tampa native and graduate of the University of South Florida with a bachelor of arts in Public Relations.