Seven Escape CO-Filled St. Pete Home

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) _ Fire crews in St. Petersburg rescued two adults and five children who were suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by a generator.

Authorities say a generator running in the garage caused the fumes to build up inside the home early Friday.

St. Petersburg Fire Rescue crews arrived at the home shortly after 4 a.m.

Spokesman Steve Lawrence said the family was using a generator to provide power to the house. It wasn’t clear why.

Crews administered oxygen at the scene and the children and their mother showed signs of improvement. Lawrence says the father was going in and out of consciousness.

The parents were taken to Bayfront Health St. Petersburg. The children, ranging in age from 15 months to 12, were taken to All Children’s Hospital for further evaluation.

St. Petersburg Fire & Rescue wants to remind everyone. Never operate unvented fuel-burning equipment in any room with closed doors or windows or in any room where people are sleeping. Do not use gasoline-powered tools and engines indoors.

SHARE