It seems that we are all busy these days, most of us just too busy. We rush around all day – commuting to and from work, running errands, making dinner. And then we lay awake at night thinking about all of tomorrow’s tasks. Being constantly occupied with our to-do lists is a good thing, to an extent. Having too much on our plates can take a serious toll on our bodies. This is why it is becoming more important to relax.
Stress can affect your mood, your memory, and even your immune system. The effects can be subtle, like troubled sleep or aches and pains. But they can also be blatant, like panic attacks and anxiety. You can see the 50 most common effects of stress here.
If you find stress affecting you in any of those ways, it is time to make relaxation one of your priorities. Whether you make time once a day, once a week, or once a month, you will find yourself a happier person.
Here are some things that may help you relax your body and mind:
1. Take a break! Step back from your day – have a cup of tea and let your mind wander for a few minutes.
2. Read a book – something you enjoy, of course.
3. Go to a body of water – the ocean, a lake, a stream… all work wonders.
4. Light a candle – try lavender, jasmine, or sandalwood.
5. Listen to music – soft, melodic tunes.
6. Spend some quality time with loved ones or friends – talking about what is on your mind can lift a weight off your shoulders.