Hostess Recalls Holiday Twinkies For Possible Salmonella Contamination
On Tuesday Hostess announced it has recalled some Twinkies due to a potential contamination with salmonella. Salmonella is an organism that causes serious and sometimes fatal infections.
In a news release the Kansas City, Missouri-based company announced that some of its Holiday White Peppermint Hostess Twinkies contained confectionary coating produced and also recalled by Blommer Chocolate Company.
“The confectionary coating contains milk powder ingredients recalled by Valley Milk Products, LLC due to a concern of Salmonella contamination,” read the news release from Hostess.
Hostess Brands, LLC Issues Voluntary Recall of Limited-Edition Holiday White Peppermint Hostess® Twinkies® because… https://t.co/lZtvMMQegM
— U.S. FDA (@FDArecalls) January 10, 2017
Hostess hasn’t received any reports of illness, but it is issuing a voluntary recall of the product out of an abundance of caution said the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
The recalled product’s UPC is 888109111571 and it was sold in nine-pack boxes with individually wrapped cakes. The packs were distributed across the United States at grocery stores, mass merchandisers, dollar and discount stores, said the FDA.
Salmonella symptoms include fever, diarrhea that may become bloody, nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. In more serious, rare cases, salmonella may enter the bloodstream and cause serious illness such as endocarditis, arthritis or infected aneurysms said the FDA. The young, elderly or immunosuppressed could face life-threatening illnesses with salmonella.
Hostess advises customers who have purchased the product to not consume it and dispose of it quickly. Anyone with questions may call 1-800-483-7253 Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. CT.
Back in June the company also voluntarily recalled more than 710,000 cases of various snack cakes and donuts after they found the products contained undeclared peanut residue, which is a dangerous threat to consumers with severe peanut allergies. The company learned of just two allergic reactions after consumers ate the snacks.