St. Pete House Fire Kills 71-Year-Old

A 71-year-old man died early Wednesday in a fire in his St. Petersburg home.

According to St. Petersburg Fire Rescue, the fire broke out just before 1:30 a.m. at a home in the 1300 block of 33rd Street South.

Flames were seen shooting through part of the living room when firefighters arrived, officials said. After entering the home, firefighters found the man’s body in the kitchen.

Officials have not said how the man died, although it appears he died from smoke inhalation. His identification has not been released.

Fire officials have not said how the fire started, but it is being ruled accidental.

“Two things were working against this gentleman,” St. Petersburg Fire Rescue spokesman Joel Granata said. “There were no smoke alarms in the home, and he had the old-style burglar bars on all the windows – making it difficult for him to get out and for us to get in.”

The fire is under investigation.

Read more on this story at