3 Things Going On Today In Florida: Kite Surfer Hospitalized

Kite Surfer Hospitalized After Hitting Building

FLAGLER BEACH, Fla. (AP) — Authorities say a kite surfer was hospitalized after crashing into a building near a Florida beach.

The Daytona Beach News-Journal reports that 56-year-old Peter James Vasiliades had been kite surfing in Flagler Beach earlier this week when heavy winds caused him to hit a downspout at High Tides at Snack Jacks. He then slammed into an adjacent building and fell down a flight of stairs.

Vasiliades was airlifted to a Daytona Beach Hospital. His kite was found tangled in nearby powerlines.

The man’s condition was unavailable Friday.

Jail Inmate Dies After Struggling With Guards

Photo: AP Photo/Andrew Selsky

CRESTVIEW, Fla. (AP) — Authorities say an inmate died after struggling with guards at a Florida county jail.

The Northwest Florida Daily News reports that 31-year-old Nathaniel Harrison Edwards was pronounced dead early Friday morning at a Crestview hospital.

The Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Office says Edwards had been picked up on an outstanding domestic violence warrant and then charged with methamphetamine possession following a search at the jail.

ail officials say Edwards became combative and had to be physically controlled by corrections staff. He became unresponsive and was taken to the hospital.

The death remains under investigation.

Worker Crushed To Death By Steel Rack, Cables At Plant

BARTOW, Fla. (AP) — Authorities say a worker was crushed to death by a steel rack and cables at a Florida plant.

The Ledger reports that 26-year-old Jose Guadalupe Bustos was pinned beneath 12 tons of metal Nov. 10 at the Metromont Corp. plant in Bartow, which specializes in making precast concrete structures.

The Polk County Sheriff’s Office says Bustos had been operating a ceiling crane by a handheld remote when a hook caught a steel cable coil, tilting over the rack.

Another worker, Loie Brakefield, was hospitalized with internal injuries.

Jerome Batcher, a general manager for the South Carolina-based Metromont Corp., told deputies none of the plant’s surveillance cameras captured the accident.

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration is investigating.