The Lakeland Fire Department is on the scene of an explosion at Whitlock Packaging, located at 2090 Bartow Rd in Lakeland. According to The Ledger, the explosion was caused by a buildup of natural gas. A 4,000 gallon boiler blew right through the wall and onto railroad tracks outside, according to the paper.
The building used to be a Juice Bowl.
US-98 South was closed between North Crystal Lake and Sylvester Road but reopened around 8:45 a.m. There are no injuries, as all employees were evacuated.
No injuries reported in juice plant explosion at 2090 Bartow Road in Lakeland. http://t.co/ghd3EtTW4U pic.twitter.com/6Oyj3CbZs9
— Bay News 9 (@BN9) September 2, 2014