High-Speed Chase Leaves 1 Biker Dead In Daytona

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla.- A high-speed chase Friday night ended tragically after a biker was killed in the hit-and-rush crash.

Craig David Devine, 27, of Daytona Beach was killed when a memorial ride for a friend turned into a 100 mph showdown between bikers and the driver of a BMW who disrupted the ride, said police. According to witnesses in the group of 20 to 30 bike riders, the 2003 BMW nearly hit the bikers as they were making their way onto the International Speedway Boulevard bridge just before 9:30 p.m. Friday.

After the encounter several bikers chased after the car heading east on ISB, then south onto S. Atlantic Avenue. They eventually reached speeds of 100 mph.

Devine was killed after the BMW turned around to head back north, striking him and his bike at about 60 mph, said police. Charles Mott, a friend of Devine’s, said he was not part of the group chasing after the car. Mott organized a ride Saturday night in honor of his friend Devine.

Friends and family made memorial shirts with pictures of Devine on them saying phrases such as, “#RideHigh” and “Ride In Paradise.” The shirts were worn to the vigil held in front of the Pizza Hut near the spot where Devine was killed.

Malott was riding behind Devine when he was killed.

“We were leading the group, and when we got to (S. Atlantic Ave.) to turn left, at that point we realized we had lost half the group,” he told the Daytona Beach News Journal.

According to Malott, he and Devine were going south on Atlantic Avenue to find the other riders. Witnesses say that is when the Georgia-registered, 4-door BMW pulled off onto a side street, turned around and headed back north toward the motorcyclists, hitting Devine.

Devine was struck on his black and red 2007 Suzuki motorcycle nearly head-on near the Pizza Hut at 500 S. Atlantic Ave.

Police say the collision occurred at speeds topping 60 mph. Devine was transported to Halifax Health Medical Center and pronounced dead at 1-:05 p.m.

Two of the three occupants of the BMW fled the scene after the wreck. K-9 units could not locate them. A witness told police that the driver was a black male with short dreadlocks wearing a gray shirt and khaki shorts. The third occupant stayed at the scene and was transported to the Daytona Beach Police Department for questioning.