BOSTON — The surviving suspect in last week’s Boston Marathon bombings began responding to investigators’ questions Sunday evening, marking a dramatic turn for law enforcement officials trying to piece together why two brothers born near war-torn Chechnya allegedly carried out an attack on their adopted country.
Investigators had been unable to question Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, who was badly wounded and unable to talk since he was captured Friday night. But less than 48 hours after he was taken into custody, the 19-year-old suspect — who remains hospitalized in serious condition — began responding to questions in writing, according to a law enforcement official who was not authorized to discuss the matter and spoke on the condition of anonymity.
The official declined to offer any details about the exchanges but said Tsarnaev was providing “substantive” information, even as investigators prepare to levy charges against him as soon as today. Authorities also said that the suspect’s neck wound may have been self-inflicted and an attempt at suicide sometime prior to his capture.
The latest turn in this case comes on a day when U.S. lawmakers raised questions about whether authorities missed warning signs about the immigrant brothers — and as Boston regained a semblance of normalcy nearly a week after the horrific attack and the ensuing manhunt that locked down the city.