An emergency room doctor who had Ebola has recovered and is scheduled to be released from the hospital on Tuesday, health officials said. The city Department of Health said Monday in a statement that Dr. Craig Spencer “has been declared free of the virus.”
Spencer tested positive for the virus Oct. 23, just days after returning from treating patients in Guinea with Doctors Without Borders. News of Spencer’s infection set many New Yorkers on edge, particularly after details emerged he rode the subway in the days before he tested positive.
The 33-year-old has been treated in a specially designed isolation unit at Manhattan’s Bellevue Hospital, a designated Ebola treatment center. His condition was upgraded from serious to stable last week.
His fiancee and two friends were initially quarantined but were released and are being actively monitored along with hundreds of others.
ABC’s Aaron Katersky joined us to discuss.
Follow us on Twitter: