Update 7:40 am ET – All 12 boys and their soccer coach were rescued from the cave, according to CBS News.
“90 divers from around the world, the best of the best, came to save these boys, and in such a short period of time,” @biannagolodryga reports. It took three days to lead all 12 boys and their 25-year-old coach out of the cave https://t.co/5IYDNrnXiW pic.twitter.com/TqgDtloOv6
— CBS News (@CBSNews) July 10, 2018
MAE SAI, Thailand (AP) — A ninth boy was rescued from a flooded cave in northern Thailand on Tuesday as divers were carrying out what they hope is a final mission to save the youngsters and their soccer coach trapped for more than two weeks.
Thailand’s Navy SEALs said on their Facebook page that “the 9th Wild Boar was out of the cave at 4:06 p.m.,” referring to the name of the soccer team they are all members of.
Eight of the 12 trapped boys were brought out of the cave by divers in the past two days. The third day of the intricate and high-risk mission aims to rescue the remaining boys and their coach and also bring out a medic and three Thai Navy SEALs who have stayed with the teenagers in their dark refuge deep within the sprawling cave.
Chiang Rai Gov. Narongsak Osatanakorn, who is heading the rescue effort, said earlier that Tuesday’s operation began just after 10 a.m. and involved 19 divers.
“We expect that if there is no unusual condition … the four boys, one coach, the doctor, and three SEALs who have been with the boys since the first day will come out today,” he told a news conference to loud cheering.
Nargonsak said this phase may take longer than the previous two rescue missions. The first and longest mission took 11 hours.
The eight boys brought out by divers over the previous two days are in “high spirits” and have strong immune systems because they are soccer players, a senior health official said.
Doctors were being cautious because of the infection risk and were isolating the boys in the hospital. They did get a treat, however: bread with chocolate spread that they’d requested.
The plight of the boys and their coach has riveted Thailand and much of the world – from the heart-sinking news they were missing to the first flickering video of the huddle of anxious yet smiling boys when they were found 10 days later by a pair of British divers. They were trapped in the Tham Luan Nang Non cave that became flooded by monsoon rains while they were exploring it after a soccer practice on June 23.
At a news conference, Jedsada Chokdumrongsuk, permanent secretary at the Public Health Ministry, said the first four boys rescued, aged 12 to 16, are now able to eat normal food, though they can’t yet take the spicy dishes favored by many Thais.
Two of the boys possibly have a lung infection but all eight are generally “healthy and smiling,” he said.
“The kids are footballers so they have high immune systems,” Jedsada said. “Everyone is in high spirits and are happy to get out. But we will have a psychiatrist to evaluate them.”
It could be at least seven days before they can be released from hospital, Jedsada told a news conference.
Family members have seen at least some of the boys from behind a glass isolation barrier, and Jedsada said doctors may let the boys walk around their beds Tuesday.
It was clear doctors were taking a cautious approach. Jedsada said they were uncertain what type of infections the boys could face “because we have never experienced this kind of issue from a deep cave.”
If medical tests show no dangers, after another two days parents will be able to enter the isolation area dressed in sterilized clothing and staying 2 meters away from the boys, said Tosthep Bunthong, Chiang Rai Public Health Chief.
The second group of four rescued on Monday are aged 12 to 14.
At least nine ambulances and a convoy of other vehicles were at the cave site Tuesday.
Heavy rains in the morning cleared during the day, a reassuring sign for rescuers who have feared monsoon rains could imperil the rescue.
Officials scotched any chance of using tech billionaire Elon Musk’s mini sub made of rocket parts to rescue the remaining boys.
Narongsak said he was grateful for Musk’s support but the equipment was impractical for the rescue mission.
Musk on Tuesday visited the cave and posted pictures and videos online. He said he left the equipment there in case rescuers could use it in the future.
This story has been updated with correct title and first name of health ministry official.