An electrical fire broke out in the auditorium of Northeast High School early Friday, causing students to be evacuated from the building.
The fire was quickly extinguished at the school, located near the intersection of 16th Street and 54th Avenue N, but significant problems remained with water damage and the school’s electrical system.
Water collecting in the school’s auditorium reached 2 feet deep in some places, firefighters told Bay News 9.
According to news reports, firefighters arrived at the scene just after 5 a.m. and saw heavy smoke pouring from the auditorium. No injuries were reported.
The fire alarm went off for a second time, around 7:30 .m., causing students and school personnel to be evacuated from the building again.
Authorities have not determined the cause of the fire, although they have said it was electrically sparked. An investigation is underway.
St. Petersburg Times