Rudy Giuliani is taking himself out of consideration for secretary of state
In a stunning announcement former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani has informed President-elect Donald Trump that he is no longer a candidate for the job of secretary of state. President-elect Donald Trump’s transition team said late Friday, as Trump has widened his search to select the nation’s top diplomat in the last week.
Trump has put together a long list of possible secretary of state, widely seen as the most prominent cabinet position. Giuliani’s chief rival at times was seen as former presidential candidate Mitt Romney, who is still under consideration. Others who have interviewed include Exxon CEO Rex Tillerson, retired Adm. James Stavridis, Sen. Bob Corker and former Ford CEO Alan Mulally.
According to The Washington Times, Giuliani, who was an early supporter of Trump and one of the most prominent surrogates on the campaign trail, was a top contender for secretary of state but apparently had fallen out of favor with the president-elect in recent weeks.
“Rudy would have been an outstanding member of the Cabinet in several roles, but I fully respect and understand his reasons for remaining in the private sector,” Mr. Trump said in a statement.
Mr. Giuliani’s name also was floated for running the Department of Homeland Security, but the post ultimately went to retired Marine Corps Gen. John F. Kelly.
“This is not about me, it is about what is best for the country and the new administration,” Mr. Giuliani said in the statement provided by the transition team.
“Before I joined the campaign I was very involved and fulfilled by my work with my law firm and consulting firm, and I will continue that work with even more enthusiasm,” he said. “From the vantage point of the private sector, I look forward to helping the president-elect in any way he deems necessary and appropriate.”