The March for Life hopes to get their point across without being offensive
Another Friday and another big event in Washington. This time it is hundreds of thousands of vocal pro-lifers are expected to fill D.C.’s streets for today’s March for Life, and they are very pleased at the prospect of pro-life gains led by President Donald Trump.
For those keeping track this is the 44th annual March for Life and it comes at the end of a momentous week in which President Trump restored the ban on U.S. funding of foreign pro-abortion groups, Congress voted to permanently ban taxpayer funding of abortion domestically, and the new Commander-in-Chief signaled his intention to nominate a pro-life justice to the Supreme Court next week.
Then came another big announcement and that was the marchers would have a chance to hear Vice President Mike Pence. It marks the first time in the event’s history a vice president will speak.
Also, joining Vice President Pence will be Kellyanne Conway, Counselor to the President, who is representing President Trump.
“With the Trump administration having done nothing but laudable things on the pro-life front so far, there’s incredible enthusiasm and encouragement” in the run-up to the March, says Eric Scheidler, executive director of the Pro-Life Action League.
“We’re on the verge of what could be some of our greatest pro-life victories of all times,” he told LifeSiteNews in a telephone interview from Washington.
The group have one major goal they want Congress to do as soon as possible and that is to defund Planned Parenthood, “It is one of the main things on the minds of pro-life marchers right now,” Scheidler said. “If we are able to defund Planned Parenthood, it’s hard to see it could keep existing as an organization.”
March for Life president Jeannie Mancini has noted “a huge uptick in media coverage” of the March for Life this year.
There is a large number of media outlets at the event. More than has ever covered the event since it began 44 years ago.
In the past Presidents Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush have called in a message to the marchers but the presence of Vice President Pence and Conway shows how strong the Trump administration feels about this issue.
Kristi Hamrick of Americans United for Life pointed out the apolitical aspect of the March for Life, noting that “the March goes on” irrespective of who’s in the White House.
“The support of President Trump and his administration for the March is a refreshing change from recent years and a sign that there is even more reason to hope that more women will be helped and more infants saved.”
Many in the Pro-Life community know that last Saturday’s Women’s March on Washington drew record crowds. But to the Pro-Life supporters they felt that the speakers at that event were both vulgar and offensive.
For the record many of those who attended the Women’s March on Washington, also felt that their message was overshadowed by some offensive rhetoric.
The March for Life Rally is going on today on the grounds of the National Mall. The March for Life starts around 1:00pm ET, directly after the Rally concludes, and will end in front of the U.S. Supreme Court.
March for Life confirmed speakers are: Kellyanne Conway, Senior Counselor to President Trump; Cardinal Timothy Dolan of New York; Sen. Joni Ernst (R-IA); Rep. Mia Love (R-UT); Rep. Chris Smith (R-NJ); Benjamin Watson, tight end for the Baltimore Ravens; Abby Johnson, former Planned Parenthood Director and founder of “And Then There Were None”; Karyme Lozano, Mexican telenovela star; Eric Metaxas, #1 New York Times Bestselling Author and host of The Eric Metaxas Show; Bishop Vincent Mathews Jr., President at Church of God In Christ World Missions; and Vice President of the United States Mike Pence.
Quotes used in this story came from UPI, ASSOCITED PRESS and other sources. Video from Fox 10 a LIVESTREAM Partner.