Matthew Update: Road Closures and Suspended Tolls
In an effort to get Florida residents to evacuate before Hurricane Matthew makes an appearance, Governor Rick Scott says tolls will be suspended. However, road closures are also a concern as residents are evacuating.
The Florida Turnpike Enterprise has ensured service plazas along the Florida Turnpike with Road Rangers and fuel. The Turnpike will suspend tolls with evacuation orders.
Drawbridges in Palm Beach County and and Miami-Dade County have all been locked down. During lock down the bridge is closed, powered off and the traffic arms may be removed. Bridges on the Intracoastal Waterway began lock down at 12:01 a.m. on Thursday.
The Florida Department of Transportation has halted all construction work on interstates, limited access facilities, coastal and evacuation route roadways.
Interstate volumes are at their highest. Interstate 75 near Alligator Alley recorded 3,000 vehicles per hour. The Florida Turnpike in Lake County recorded just under 3,000 vehicles per hour as did the Bee Line Expressway-West Bound Orange County, Interstate 95 North Bound- Brevard County, and Interstate 10 West Bound Suwannee County near Live Oak.
The FDOT is monitoring live traffic counters in South Florida, Central Florida and along the East Coast of Florida.
Additional road and bridge closure information can be found at www.fl511.com. Through FL 511 residents can also check for incidents reported along their planned evacuation routes and any backups. Residents should still plan to leave now and not wait as traffic is expected to get heavier throughout the day as Matthew approaches.
- Turnpike Mainline, SR91 between Hard Rock Stadium (Exit 2X) and the northern terminus of the Turnpike near Wildwood (Milepost 309).
- Rickenbacker and Venetian Causeways.
- Both directions of Alligator Alley between Broward and Collier County.
- Sawgrass Expressway in both directions in Broward County.
- Toll 417 (Seminole Expressway).
- Toll 408 (Holland East-West Expressway).
- Toll 429 (Western Beltway).
- Toll 570 (Polk Parkway) in Lakeland.
- Osceola Parkway in Osceola County.
Video courtesy of our Livestream partners WPTV/WFLX TV West Palm Beach