Talk Back Florida: JFK, Giving Back & John Wayne
Missed part of the show? Heres a rewind of the program on May 31, 2014.
This week on Talk Back Florida we celebrated some May birthdays
President John. F. Kennedys birthday was May 29th and part of his legacy encouraged countless Americans to give back to their community when he said ask not what your country can do for you...ask what YOU can do for your country.
We talked with Niki Paksoy, with the Suncoast United Way about how people can volunteer and about the National Day of Action on June 7th. We also talked with Bob Emerick, who has been volunteering for more then 17 years and Bill Coats, at the Redlands Christian Migrant Association (RCMA) where people will be spending their time volunteering on June 7th to work on improvements to their childrens playground.
Iconic actor John Wayne was born on May 26th and author Scott Eyman joined us to talk about his interesting book John Wayne: The Life & Legend.
Listen to part 1
Listen to part 2
* THE ASSOCIATED PRESS: Splendid Eyman offers perceptive views of Wayne's many films and a wagon's worth of revealing and entertaining anecdotes. If you think you know John Wayne, you'll know him even better as a movie star and appreciate him even more as a person after reading. Read review
* NEW YORK TIMES BOOK REVIEW: authoritative and enormously engaging Read review
* NEW YORK TIMES Daily review by Michiko Kakutani: What this book does expertly is give the reader a spirited portrait of John Wayne and the Hollywood he worked in, while doing a nimble job of charting his growing mastery of his craft. Read review
* LOS ANGELES TIMES: No Wayne biography until now has ridden the defile between the reverential and the tendentious with quite the graceful equilibrium of this one Eyman gets at the details that the bean-counters and myth-spinners miss Wayne's intimates have told Eyman things here that they've never told anyone else. Full review
* WALL STREET JOURNAL: Both deeply researched and totally absorbing. Full review
This host celebrated a birthday last week and we talked about being honored in Washington DC where my documentary (JFK in Tampa) was officially archived in to the Library of Congress!
And we ended the show with the volunteer mens chorus, the "Heralds of Harmony who talked about their 45 years in the Tampa Bay area and how you can join.
Talk Back Florida airs Saturday afternoons from 3 5 pm on AM 820 News. Also Listen Live on newstalkflorida.com
Like us on Facebook: Facebook.com/talkbackflorida
Follow us on Twitter: @talkbackflorida
Email me : [email protected] and let us know what YOUD like to hear on Talk Back Florida. We will read your emails, FB posts & tweets on the air!