St. Pete: Chihuahua Dies In House Fire
At 7:05 this morning, St. Petersburg Fire and Rescue are responded to the Silver Lake Mobile Home Park, which is located at 4000 24th Street North.
According to investigators, the fire started in the front bedroom of the unit, in the area of the bed. Deputies say the fire is not suspicious in nature and is believed to be the result of an electrical failure.
At the time of the fire, the unit was occupied by two persons, 52 year-old Gary Winkleman and his roommate 56-year old Mark Erdman. According to investigators, Winkleman noticed the fire in the front bedroom, which was the room he had been working in minutes before, and woke up Erdman who was sleeping in a back bedroom. Erdman grabbed his cat and all exited the unit.
Deputies say the men were unable to return for the Chihuahua, which died in the fire.
The investigation continues.