The Sarasota Half Marathon will be held on Sunday, March 16, 2014. The run will include a Half-Marathon only. The run will begin at 7 a.m. and end at approximately 12 p.m. Drivers, residents and spectators are asked to have patience before, during and after the race with lane closures.
The run will begin at the Van Wezel parking lot and follow a route south to Gulfstream Avenue, west over the Ringling Bridge ending with the turnaround on St. Armands Circle, returning east to the mainland and back to U.S. 41 North to University Parkway.
Since runners will be sharing the roadway along the route, there will be temporary lane closures at the following locations:
* Southbound – U.S. 41 from University Parkway to Gulfstream Ave
* Westbound – University Parkway to U.S. 41
* Gulfstream Avenue and John Ringling Blvd at U.S. 41
* Westbound – John Ringling from U.S. 41 to St. Armands Circle
* Eastbound – John Ringling from St. Armands Circle to Bayfront Drive (Starting at Golden Gate Point, both Westbound lanes closed to vehicle traffic; Westbound side of Ringling Causeway for racers – East/West traffic will be shared on eastbound lanes from Golden Gate Point to St. Armands Circle)
* Southbound – U.S. 41 and Gulfstream Ave, beach traffic will be directed into
one lane for westbound turns
* Northbound – U.S. 41 and Gulfstream Ave, there will only be one turn lane for beach traffic. Second turn lane will be closed. Both Northbound U.S. 41 lanes will remain open to traffic
Drivers are urged to use caution during this event. Drivers can expect delays due to the temporary lane closure and the increase of traffic volume during the late morning hours. Neighborhoods affected by the race course are being asked to plan according. Sarasota Police officers and volunteers will be posted along the route to assist motorists and residents in congested areas and to ensure the safety of the Half Marathon participants.
Source: Sarasota Police Department