Detectives Investigate Palm Harbor Fire
Pinellas County deputies are investigating a house fire at a Palm Harbor home at 264 Talley Drive. Deputies got the call around 11:24am Sunday morning.
According to investigators, the fire appears to be a grease fire that started in the kitchen. Deputies say the fire is not suspicious in nature.
At the time of the fire, the home was occupied by an adult female and her brother and her 11-year-old child. According to investigators, the adult female, identified as 30-year-old Ashley Brown was cooking chicken in grease on the stove when the pan caught fire. She attempted to put the fire out but was unsuccessful.
Ashley then attempted to bring the pan outside of the home, while at the same time her 11-year-old child, Cody Smith was standing at the edge of the sidewalk near the doorway. Grease from the pan spilled on the child causing2nd and 3rd degree burns to various areas of his body.
The child was transported to a local hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
No one else was injured in the fire.
The investigation continues.